[Tails-dev] Moving to 64-bit (x86_64) userspace (#8183)

intrigeri intrigeri at boum.org
Sun Jul 31 16:03:14 CEST 2016


Hi,

after gathering data for 21 months, I think we've reached the point
when we can, and should, decide whether we're going to ship Tails 3.0
(based on Debian Stretch) with a 32-bit userspace like the Tails 2.x
series, or with a 64-bit one.

I'm proposing we switch to a 64-bit userspace in Tails 3.0.
I've summed up some of the pros & cons on the description of the
ticket: https://labs.riseup.net/code/issues/8183

If you have other useful information about this topic, or arguments
either way, now is time to provide them :)  Please do so on the list,
I'll sum things up on the ticket later on.

I've added this discussion topic to the August meeting's agenda, as an
additional opportunity to gather feedback about this proposal.

But of course I don't expect we'll make such an important decision
3 days after it's been proposed, especially in August. I'd like to see
us decide that by August 21 though, as it is blocking important
matters we will need to deal with during the first Stretch sprint.

Thanks in advance!

Cheers,
-- 
intrigeri


More information about the Tails-dev mailing list