[tails-news] Tails 2.0.1 is out
Tails - News
rss at boum.org
Fri Feb 12 20:05:28 CET 2016
This release fixes [numerous security issues](https://tails.boum.org/security/Numerous_security_holes_in_2.0/index.en.html). All users must upgrade as soon as possible.
## New features
* Tails now uses the GNOME Shell desktop environment, in its Classic mode. GNOME Shell provides a modern, simple, and actively developed desktop environment. The Classic mode keeps the traditional Applications, Places menu, and windows list. Accessibility and non-Latin input sources are also better integrated.
To find your way around, [read our introduction to GNOME and the Tails desktop.](https://tails.boum.org/doc/first_steps/introduction_to_gnome_and_the_tails_desktop/index.en.html)
The desktop and Applications menu
![Tails 2.0 desktop with applications menu unfolded](https://tails.boum.org/inc/release_notes/2.0/applications_menu.png)
The activities overview
![Tails 2.0 activities overview](https://tails.boum.org/inc/release_notes/2.0/activities_overview.png)
## Upgrades and changes
* Debian 8 upgrades most included software, for example:
* Many core GNOME utilities from 3.4 to 3.14: Files, Disks, Videos, etc.
* LibreOffice from 3.5 to 4.3
* PiTiVi from 0.15 to 0.93
* Git from 1.7.10 to 2.1.4
* Poedit from 1.5.4 to 1.6.10
* Liferea from 1.8.6 to 1.10
* Update Tor Browser to 5.5 (based on Firefox 38.6.0 ESR):
* Add Japanese support.
* Remove the Windows camouflage which is currently broken in GNOME Shell. We started working on [adding it back](https://labs.riseup.net/code/issues/10830) but [your help is needed](https://tails.boum.org/news/windows_camouflage_jessie/index.en.html)!
* Change to `systemd` as init system and use it to:
* Sandbox many services using Linux namespaces and make them harder to exploit.
* Make the launching of Tor and the memory wipe on shutdown more robust.
* Sanitize our code base by replacing many custom scripts.
* Update most firmware packages which might improve hardware compatibility.
* Notify the user if Tails is running from a non-free virtualization software.
* Remove Claws Mail, replaced by [Icedove](https://tails.boum.org/doc/anonymous_internet/icedove/index.en.html), a rebranded version of Mozilla Thunderbird.
## Fixed problems
* HiDPI displays are better supported. ([#8659](https://labs.riseup.net/code/issues/8659))
* Remove the option to open a download with an external application in Tor Browser as this is usually impossible due to the AppArmor confinement. ([#9285](https://labs.riseup.net/code/issues/9285))
* Close Vidalia before restarting Tor.
* Allow Videos to access the DVD drive. ([#10455](https://labs.riseup.net/code/issues/10455), [#9990](https://labs.riseup.net/code/issues/9990))
* Allow configuring printers without administration password. ([#8443](https://labs.riseup.net/code/issues/8443))
# Known issues
See the current list of [known issues](https://tails.boum.org/support/known_issues/index.en.html).
# Download or upgrade
Go to the [download](https://tails.boum.org/download/index.en.html) or [upgrade](https://tails.boum.org/doc/first_steps/upgrade/index.en.html) page.
If your Tails does not boot after an automatic upgrade, please [upgrade your Tails manually](https://tails.boum.org/doc/first_steps/upgrade/index.en.html#manual).
# What's coming up?
The next Tails release is [scheduled](https://tails.boum.org/contribute/calendar/) for March 08.
Have a look at our [roadmap](https://labs.riseup.net/code/projects/tails/roadmap) to see where we are heading to.
We need your help and there are many ways to [contribute to Tails](https://tails.boum.org/contribute/index.en.html) ([donating](https://tails.boum.org/contribute/how/donate/index.en.html) is only one of them). Come [talk to us](https://tails.boum.org/contribute/talk/)!
More information about the amnesia-news