[tails-news] Tails 1.7 is out
Tails - News
rss at boum.org
Tue Nov 3 12:34:56 CET 2015
This release fixes [?](https://tails.boum.org/ikiwiki.cgi?do=create&from=news%2Fversion_1.7&page=security%2FNumerous_security_holes_in_1.7.1)numerous security issues. All users must upgrade as soon as possible.
## New features
* You can now start Tails in [offline mode](https://tails.boum.org/news/../doc/first_steps/startup_options/offline_mode/index.en.html) to disable all networking for additional security. Doing so can be useful when working on sensitive documents.
* We added [Icedove](https://tails.boum.org/news/../doc/anonymous_internet/icedove/index.en.html), a rebranded version of the Mozilla Thunderbird email client.
Icedove is currently a technology preview. It is safe to use in the context of Tails but it will be better integrated in future versions until we remove [?](https://tails.boum.org/ikiwiki.cgi?do=create&from=inc%2Frelease_notes%2F1.7&page=claws_mail)Claws Mail. Users of Claws Mail should refer to our instructions to [migrate their data from Claws Mail to Icedove](https://tails.boum.org/news/../doc/anonymous_internet/claws_mail_to_icedove/index.en.html).
## Upgrades and changes
* Improve the wording of the first screen of Tails Installer.
* Restart Tor automatically if connecting to the Tor network takes too long. ([#9516](https://labs.riseup.net/code/issues/9516))
* Update several firmware packages which might improve hardware compatibility.
* Update the Tails signing key which is now valid until 2017.
* Update Tor Browser to 5.0.4.
* Update Tor to 0.2.7.4.
## Fixed problems
* Prevent wget from leaking the IP address when using the FTP protocol. ([#10364](https://labs.riseup.net/code/issues/10364))
* Prevent symlink attack on ~/.xsession-errors via tails-debugging-info which could be used by the amnesia user to bypass read permissions on any file. ([#10333](https://labs.riseup.net/code/issues/10333))
* Force synchronization of data on the USB stick at the end of automatic upgrades. This might fix some reliability bugs in automatic upgrades.
* Make the "I2P is ready" notification more reliable.
# Known issues
See the current list of [known issues](https://tails.boum.org/news/../support/known_issues/index.en.html).
# Download or upgrade
Go to the [download](https://tails.boum.org/news/../download/index.en.html) or [upgrade](https://tails.boum.org/news/../doc/first_steps/upgrade/index.en.html) page.
If you have been updating automatically for a while and your Tails does not boot after an automatic upgrade, you can [update your Tails manually](https://tails.boum.org/news/../doc/first_steps/upgrade/index.en.html#manual).
# What's coming up?
The next Tails release is [scheduled](https://tails.boum.org/news/../contribute/calendar/) for December 15.
Have a look at our [roadmap](https://labs.riseup.net/code/projects/tails/roadmap) to see where we are heading to.
We need your help and there are many ways to [contribute to Tails](https://tails.boum.org/news/../contribute/index.en.html) ([donating](https://tails.boum.org/news/../contribute/how/donate/index.en.html) is only one of them). Come [talk to us](https://tails.boum.org/news/../contribute/talk/)!
More information about the amnesia-news