[tails-news] Tails 1.4 is out
Tails - News
rss at boum.org
Tue May 12 12:34:56 CEST 2015
Tails, The Amnesic Incognito Live System, version 1.4, is out.
This release fixes [numerous security issues](https://tails.boum.org/news/../security/Numerous_security_holes_in_1.3.2/index.en.html) and all users must [upgrade](https://tails.boum.org/news/../doc/first_steps/upgrade/index.en.html) as soon as possible.
## New features
We disabled in Tails the new circuit view of _Tor Browser_ 4.5 for security reasons. You can still use the network map of _Vidalia_ to inspect your circuits.
* _Tails OpenPGP Applet_ now has a **shortcut to the _gedit_ text editor**, thanks to Ivan Bliminse.
* **_[Paperkey](https://tails.boum.org/news/../doc/advanced_topics/paperkey/index.en.html)_** lets you print a backup of your OpenPGP secret keys on paper.
## Upgrades and changes
* _Tor Browser_ 4.5 protects better against **third-party tracking**. Often when visiting a website, many connections are created to transfer both the content of the main website (its page, images, and so on) and third-party content from other websites (advertisements, _Like_ buttons, and so on). In _Tor Browser_ 4.5, all such content, from the main website as well as the third-party websites, goes through the same Tor circuits. And these circuits are not reused when visiting a different website. This prevents third-party websites from correlating your visits to different websites.
* _Tor Browser_ 4.5 now keeps using the **same Tor circuit** while you are visiting a website. This prevents the website from suddenly changing language, behavior, or logging you out.
* **_[Disconnect](https://search.disconnect.me/)_** is the new **default search engine**. _Disconnect_ provides Google search results to Tor users without captchas or bans.
* Better support for **Vietnamese** in _LibreOffice_ through the installation of `fonts-linuxlibertine`.
* Disable security warnings when connecting to POP3 and IMAP ports that are mostly used for StartTLS nowadays.
* Support for **more printers** through the installation of `printer-driver-gutenprint`.
* Upgrade **Tor** to 0.2.6.7.
* Upgrade **_I2P_** to [0.9.19](https://geti2p.net/en/blog/post/2015/04/12/0.9.19-Release) that has several fixes and improvements for floodfill performance.
* Remove the obsolete **#i2p-help IRC channel** from _Pidgin_.
* Remove the command line email client **`mutt`** and **`msmtp`**.
There are numerous other changes that might not be apparent in the daily operation of a typical user. Technical details of all the changes are listed in the [Changelog](https://git-tails.immerda.ch/tails/plain/debian/changelog).
## Fixed problems
* Make the browser theme of the Windows 8 camouflage compatible with the _Unsafe Browser_ and the _I2P Browser_.
* Remove the **Tor Network Settings...** from the _Torbutton_ menu.
* Better support for Chromebook C720-2800 through the upgrade of `syslinux`.
* Fix the localization of _Tails Upgrader_.
* Fix the OpenPGP key servers configured in _Seahorse_.
* Prevent _Tor Browser_ from crashing when _Orca_ is enabled.
# Known issues
* Claws Mail stores plaintext copies of all emails on the remote IMAP server, including those that are meant to be encrypted. If you send OpenPGP encrypted emails using _Claws Mail_ and IMAP, make sure to apply one of the workarounds documented in our [security announcement](https://tails.boum.org/news/../security/claws_mail_leaks_plaintext_to_imap/index.en.html).
* See the current list of [known issues](https://tails.boum.org/news/../support/known_issues/index.en.html).
# Download or upgrade
Go to the [download](https://tails.boum.org/news/../download/index.en.html) page.
# What's coming up?
The next Tails release is [scheduled](https://tails.boum.org/news/../contribute/calendar/) for June 30.
Have a look to our [roadmap](https://labs.riseup.net/code/projects/tails/roadmap) to see where we are heading to.
Do you want to help? There are many ways [**you** can contribute to Tails](https://tails.boum.org/news/../contribute/index.en.html). If you want to help, come talk to us!
More information about the amnesia-news