[tails-news] Tails 1.8 is out
Tails - News
rss at boum.org
Tue Dec 15 12:34:56 CET 2015
This release fixes [numerous security issues](https://tails.boum.org/news/../security/Numerous_security_holes_in_1.7/index.en.html). All users must upgrade as soon as possible.
## New features
* [Icedove](https://tails.boum.org/news/../doc/anonymous_internet/icedove/index.en.html) a rebranded version of Mozilla Thunderbird is now the official email client in Tails, replacing Claws Mail.
Claws Mail will be removed from Tails in version 2.0 (2016-01-26). If you have been using Claws Mail and activated its persistence feature, follow our instructions to [migrate your data to Icedove](https://tails.boum.org/news/../doc/anonymous_internet/claws_mail_to_icedove/index.en.html).
## Upgrades and changes
* Electrum from 1.9.8 to [2.5.4](https://github.com/spesmilo/electrum/blob/0d4de870a5159d491b604d29780f6bfb539c49f3/RELEASE-NOTES). Now Electrum should work again in Tails.
* Tor Browser to [5.0.5](https://gitweb.torproject.org/builders/tor-browser-bundle.git/tree/Bundle-Data/Docs/ChangeLog.txt?h=maint-5.0&id=tbb-5.0.5-build1).
* Tor to [0.2.7.6](https://gitweb.torproject.org/tor.git/tree/ChangeLog?id=tor-0.2.7.6).
* I2P to [0.9.23](https://geti2p.net/en/blog/post/2015/11/19/0.9.23-Release).
* Icedove from 31.8 to 38.4.
* Enigmail from 1.7.2 to 1.8.2.
# Known issues
* Incremental upgrades are much slower to apply than before. You can expect it to take around an hour _after_ the upgrade has been downloaded. See (https://tails.boum.org/bugs/10757) for details.
* If your system clock is incorrect, then [bridge mode](https://tails.boum.org/news/../doc/first_steps/startup_options/bridge_mode/index.en.html) will not work. One way to work around this is to correct the system before connecting to the network, which will require setting an [administration password](https://tails.boum.org/news/../doc/first_steps/startup_options/administration_password/index.en.html).
See the current list of [known issues](https://tails.boum.org/news/../support/known_issues/index.en.html).
# Download or upgrade
Go to the [download](https://tails.boum.org/news/../download/index.en.html) or [upgrade](https://tails.boum.org/news/../doc/first_steps/upgrade/index.en.html) page.
If your Tails does not boot after an automatic upgrade, please [upgrade your Tails manually](https://tails.boum.org/news/../doc/first_steps/upgrade/index.en.html#manual).
# What's coming up?
The next Tails release is [scheduled](https://tails.boum.org/news/../contribute/calendar/) for January 26.
Have a look at our [roadmap](https://labs.riseup.net/code/projects/tails/roadmap) to see where we are heading to.
We need your help and there are many ways to [contribute to Tails](https://tails.boum.org/news/../contribute/index.en.html) ([donating](https://tails.boum.org/news/../contribute/how/donate/index.en.html) is only one of them). Come [talk to us](https://tails.boum.org/news/../contribute/talk/)!
More information about the amnesia-news