[tails-news] Tails 1.2 is out
Tails - News
rss at boum.org
Thu Oct 16 12:34:56 CEST 2014
Tails, The Amnesic Incognito Live System, version 1.2, is out.
This release fixes [numerous security issues](https://tails.boum.org/news/../security/Numerous_security_holes_in_1.1.2/index.en.html) and all users must [upgrade](https://tails.boum.org/news/../doc/first_steps/upgrade/index.en.html) as soon as possible.
Notable user-visible changes include:
* Major new features
* Install (most of) the Tor Browser, replacing our previous Iceweasel-based browser. The version installed is from TBB 4.0 and is based on Firefox 31.2.0esr. This fixes the POODLE vulnerability.
* Upgrade Tor to 0.2.5.8-rc.
* Confine several important applications with AppArmor.
* Install Linux 3.16-3 (version 3.16.5-1).
* Minor improvements
* Upgrade I2P to 0.9.15, and isolate I2P traffic from the Tor Browser by adding a dedicated I2P Browser. Also, start I2P automatically upon network connection, when the `i2p` boot option is added.
* Make it clear that _TrueCrypt_ will be removed in Tails 1.2.1 ([ticket #7739](https://labs.riseup.net/code/issues/7739)), and document how to open _TrueCrypt_ volumes with `cryptsetup`.
* Enable VirtualBox guest additions by default ([ticket #5730](https://labs.riseup.net/code/issues/5730)). In particular this enables VirtualBox's display management service.
* Make the OTR status in Pidgin clearer thanks to the formatting toolbar ([ticket #7356](https://labs.riseup.net/code/issues/7356)).
* Upgrade syslinux to 6.03-pre20, which should fix UEFI boot on some hardware.
See the [online Changelog](https://git-tails.immerda.ch/tails/plain/debian/changelog) for technical details.
# Known issues
* Tor Browser is translated in [15 languages only](https://tails.boum.org/news/../support/known_issues/index.en.html#browser_languages).
* [Longstanding](https://tails.boum.org/news/../support/known_issues/index.en.html) known issues.
# I want to try it or to upgrade!
Go to the [download](https://tails.boum.org/news/../download/index.en.html) page.
As no software is ever perfect, we maintain a list of [problems that affects the last release of Tails](https://tails.boum.org/news/../support/known_issues/index.en.html).
# What's coming up?
The next Tails release is [scheduled](https://tails.boum.org/news/../contribute/calendar/) for November 25.
Have a look to our [roadmap](https://labs.riseup.net/code/projects/tails/roadmap) to see where we are heading to.
Do you want to help? There are many ways [**you** can contribute to Tails](https://tails.boum.org/news/../contribute/index.en.html). If you want to help, come talk to us!
More information about the amnesia-news