[tails-news] Tails 1.2.2 is out
Tails - News
rss at boum.org
Tue Dec 16 12:34:56 CET 2014
Tails, The Amnesic Incognito Live System, version 1.2.2, is out.
This release is an emergency release that changes the root certificate which is used to verify automatic upgrades.
On January 3rd, the SSL certificate of our website hosting provider, boum.org, will expire. The new certificate will be issued by a different certificate authority. This certificate authority is verified by the automatic upgrade mechanism of Tails.
As a consequence, versions previous to 1.2.2 won't be able to do the next automatic upgrade to version 1.2.3 and will receive an error message from _Tails Upgrader_ when starting Tails after January 3rd.
On top of that, a [bug in _Tails Upgrader_](https://labs.riseup.net/code/issues/8449) prevents us from providing an automatic upgrade from version 1.2.1 to 1.2.2.
So all users should either:
* Do a [manual upgrade](https://tails.boum.org/news/../doc/first_steps/upgrade/index.en.html#manual) to version 1.2.2 before January 3rd. (recommended)
* Remember to do a manual upgrade to version 1.2.3 on January 14th.
* Minor improvements
* Change the SSL certificate authority expected by Tails Upgrader when checking for new Tails versions on https://tails.boum.org/.
See the [online Changelog](https://git-tails.immerda.ch/tails/plain/debian/changelog) for technical details.
# Known issues
The same issues as in 1.2.1 apply to this release:
* It is [hard to exchange files with the I2P Browser](https://tails.boum.org/news/../support/known_issues/index.en.html#i2p_browser).
* [Longstanding](https://tails.boum.org/news/../support/known_issues/index.en.html) known issues.
# For users of persistent GnuPG keyrings and configuration
If you have enabled the GnuPG keyrings and configuration persistence feature and have _upgraded_ a Tails USB stick or SD card installation to Tails 1.2.1 or 1.2.2, then please follow these steps to benefit from the updated GnuPG configuration:
1. Boot Tails with [an administration password](https://tails.boum.org/news/../doc/first_steps/startup_options/administration_password/index.en.html) set.
2. Run this command in a Root Terminal:
cp /etc/skel/.gnupg/gpg.conf /home/amnesia/.gnupg/gpg.conf
# I want to try it or to upgrade!
Go to the [download](https://tails.boum.org/news/../download/index.en.html) page.
As no software is ever perfect, we maintain a list of [problems that affects the last release of Tails](https://tails.boum.org/news/../support/known_issues/index.en.html).
# What's coming up?
The next Tails release is [scheduled](https://tails.boum.org/news/../contribute/calendar/) for January 14.
Have a look at our [roadmap](https://labs.riseup.net/code/projects/tails/roadmap) to see where we are heading to.
Do you want to help? There are many ways [**you** can contribute to Tails](https://tails.boum.org/news/../contribute/index.en.html). If you want to help, come talk to us!
More information about the amnesia-news