[tails-news] Tails 0.18 is out
Tails - News
rss at boum.org
Sat May 18 11:23:45 CEST 2013
Tails, The Amnesic Incognito Live System, version 0.18, is out.
All users must upgrade as soon as possible.
Notable user-visible changes include:
* New features
* Support obfs3 bridges.
* Automatically install a custom list of additional packages chosen by the user at the beginning of every working session, and upgrade them once a network connection is established (technology preview).
* Upgrade to Iceweasel 17.0.5esr-0+tails2~bpo60+1.
* Update Torbrowser patches to current maint-2.4 branch (567682b).
* Torbutton 1.5.2, and various prefs hacks to fix breakage.
* HTTPS Everywhere 3.2
* NoScript 188.8.131.52-1
* Isolate DOM storage to first party URI, and enable DOM storage.
* Isolate the image cache per url bar domain.
* Update prefs to match the TBB's, fix bugs, and take advantage of the latest Torbrowser patches.
* Make prefs organization closer to the TBB's, and generally clean them up.
* Linux 3.2.41-2+deb7u2.
* All Iceweasel prefs we set are now applied.
* Bring back support for proxies of type other than obfsproxy.
* Minor improvements
* Set `kernel.dmesg_restrict=1`, and make `/proc/<pid>/` invisible and restricted for other users. It makes it slightly harder for an attacker to gather information that may allow them to escalate privileges.
* Install gnome-screenshot.
* Add a _About Tails_ launcher in the _System_ menu.
* Install GNOME accessibility themes.
* Use _Getting started..._ as the homepage for the Tails documentation button.
* Disable audio preview in Nautilus.
* Localization: many translation updates all over the place.
See the [online Changelog](http://git.immerda.ch/?p=amnesia.git;a=blob_plain;f=debian/changelog;hb=refs/tags/0.18) for technical details.
# Known issue
The web browser default search engine is Google, instead of the intended localized Startpage. You may select _Startpage HTTPS_ in the search engine menu next to the Google icon.
# I want to try it / to upgrade!
See the [Getting started](https://tails.boum.org/news/../getting_started/index.en.html) page.
As no software is ever perfect, we maintain a list of [problems that affects the last release of Tails](https://tails.boum.org/news/../support/known_issues/index.en.html).
# What's coming up?
The next Tails release is scheduled for June 27.
Have a look to our [roadmap](https://tails.boum.org/contribute/roadmap/) to see where we are heading to.
Would you want to help? As explained in our ["how to contribute" documentation](https://tails.boum.org/news/../contribute/index.en.html), there are many ways **you** can contribute to Tails. If you want to help, come talk to us!
More information about the amnesia-news