[tails-news] Tails 0.17 is out
Tails - News
rss at boum.org
Mon Feb 25 16:23:45 CET 2013
Tails, The Amnesic Incognito Live System, version 0.17, is out.
All users must upgrade as soon as possible.
Notable user-visible changes include:
* New features
* Install the KeePassX password manager, with a configuration and [documentation] that makes it easy to persist the password database.
* Upgrade to Iceweasel 17.0.3esr-1+tails1~bpo60+1.
* Do not allow listing all available fonts.
* Improve default spellchecker dictionary selection.
* Disable the add-ons automatic update feature.
* Remove NoScript click-to-play confirmation.
* Sync some prefs set by Torbutton, to be ready when it stops setting these.
* Disable navigation timing.
* Disable SPDY.
* More aggressive iceweasel HTTP pipelining settings.
* Enable WebGL (as click-to-play only).
* Disable network.http.connection-retry-timeout.
* Disable full path information for plugins.
* Remove NoScript blocks of WebFonts.
* Minor improvements
* Upgrade to live-boot 3.0~b11-1 and live-config 3.0.12-1.
* Don't add "quiet" to the kernel command-line ourselves.
* Upgrade I2P to 0.9.4.
* Many bugfixes brought by the Debian Squeeze 6.0.7 point-release.
* Use the regular GnuPG agent + pinentry-gtk2 instead of Seahorse as a GnuPG agent. This fixes usage of OpenPGP in Claws Mail, and brings support for OpenPGP smartcards.
* Enable I2P hidden mode. Else, killing I2P ungracefully is bad for the I2P network.
* Add shutdown and reboot launchers to the menu. This workarounds the lack of a shutdown helper applet in camouflage mode.
* Remove Pidgin's MXit and Sametime support to workaround security flaws.
* Hardware support
* Install recent Intel and AMD microcode.
* Install firmware loader for Qualcomm Gobi USB chipsets.
* Upgrade barry to 0.18.3-5~bpo60+1.
* Tails USB Installer: update translations for Arabic, Czech, German, Hebrew, Polish and Spanish.
* tails-greeter: update Spanish and French translations, new Polish translation.
* tails-persistence-setup: update translations for Arabic, Bulgarian, Spanish, French, Dutch, Polish and Chinese.
* WhisperBack: update Spanish and Korean translations, import new Polish translation.
Plus the usual bunch of bug reports and minor improvements.
See the [online Changelog] for technical details.
# I want to try it / to upgrade!
See the [Getting started] page.
As no software is ever perfect, we maintain a list of [problems that affects the last release of Tails].
# What's coming up?
The next Tails release is scheduled for April 9. It will probably be a minor, bugfix only one.
Have a look to our [roadmap] to see where we are heading to.
Would you want to help? As explained in our ["how to contribute" documentation], there are many ways **you** can contribute to Tails. If you want to help, come talk to us!
More information about the amnesia-news