[tails-news] Tails 0.20 is out
Tails - News
rss at boum.org
Fri Aug 9 15:30:00 CEST 2013
Tails, The Amnesic Incognito Live System, version 0.20, is out.
All users must upgrade as soon as possible: this release fixes [numerous security issues](https://tails.boum.org/news/../security/Numerous_security_holes_in_0.19/index.en.html).
Notable user-visible changes include:
* New features
* Install Linux kernel 3.10.3-1 from Debian unstable.
* Iceweasel 17.0.8esr + Torbrowser patches.
* Prevent Iceweasel from displaying a warning when leaving HTTPS web sites.
* Make Iceweasel use the correct, localized search engine.
* Fix Git access to https:// repositories.
* Minor improvements
* Install Dasher, a predictive text entry tool.
* Add a wrapper around TrueCrypt which displays a warning about it soon being deprecated in Tails.
* Remove Pidgin libraries for all protocols but IRC and Jabber/XMPP. Many of the other protocols Pidgin support are broken in Tails and haven't got any security auditting.
* Disable the pre-defined Pidgin accounts so they do not auto-connect on Pidgin start.
* Include information about Alsa in WhisperBack reports.
* Explicitly restrict access to ptrace. While this setting was enabled by default in Debian's Linux 3.9.6-1, it will later disabled in 3.9.7-1. It's unclear what will happen next, so let's explicitly enable it ourselves.
* Do not display dialog when a message is sent in Claws Mail.
* Sync iceweasel preferences with the Torbrowser's.
* Many translation updates all over the place.
* Merge all Tails-related POT files into one, and make use of intltoolize for better integration with Transifex.
See the [online Changelog](https://git-tails.immerda.ch/tails/plain/debian/changelog?id=0.20) for technical details.
# Known issue
No new known issue but [longstanding known issues](https://tails.boum.org/news/../support/known_issues/index.en.html).
# I want to try it / to upgrade!
See the [Getting started](https://tails.boum.org/news/../getting_started/index.en.html) page.
As no software is ever perfect, we maintain a list of [problems that affects the last release of Tails](https://tails.boum.org/news/../support/known_issues/index.en.html).
# What's coming up?
The next Tails release is scheduled for around September 19.
Have a look to our [roadmap](https://labs.riseup.net/code/projects/tails/roadmap) to see where we are heading to.
Would you want to help? There are many ways [?](https://tails.boum.org/ikiwiki.cgi?page=contribute_to_Tails&from=news%2Fversion_0.20&do=create)**you** can contribute. If you want to help, come talk to us!
More information about the amnesia-news