[amnesia-news] Tails 0.10 is out
Tails - News
rss at boum.org
Wed Jan 4 01:23:45 CET 2012
The Amnesic Incognito Live System, version 0.10, is out.
All users must upgrade as soon as possible.
Notable user-visible changes include:
* Tor: upgrade to 0.2.2.35-1.
* Install Iceweasel 9.0 from the Debian Mozilla team's APT repository.
* Update Torbutton to 188.8.131.52-1.
* Support viewing any YouTube video that is available in HTML5 format.
* Use Scroogle (any languages) instead of Scroogle (English only) when booted in English. Many users choose English because their own language is not supported yet; let's not hide them search results in their own language.
* Install the NoScript Firefox extension; configure it the same way as the TBB does.
* Disable third-party cookies. They can be used to track users, which is bad. Besides, this is what TBB has been doing for years.
* Do not transparently proxy outgoing Internet connections through Tor. Instead drop all non-Torified Internet traffic. Hence applications has to be explicitly configured to use Tor in order to reach the Internet from now on.
* Upgrade Vidalia to 0.2.15-1+tails1. This version will not warn about new Tor versions (this is handled by Tails security check instead).
* Upgrade MAT to 0.2.2-1~bpo60+1.
* Upgrade VirtualBox guest software to 4.1.6-dfsg-2~bpo60+1, built against the ABI of X.Org backports.
* Upgrade I2P to 0.8.11; the start script (which was broken in Tails 0.9) is now fixed.
* Install unar (The Unarchiver) instead of the non-free unrar.
* [Install Nautilus Wipe] instead of custom Nautilus scripts.
* Hardware support
* Upgrade Linux kernel to 3.1.6-1.
* Upgrade to X.Org from squeeze-backports.
* Install more, and more recent b43 firmwares.
* Upgrade barry to 0.15-1.2~bpo60+1.
* Add basic language support for Russian, Farsi and Vietnamese.
* Install some Indic fonts.
* Install some Russian fonts.
* Add Alt+Shift shortcut to switch keyboard layout.
* Support booting in "[Windows XP-like camouflage mode]".
* Do not fetch APT translation files. Running apt-get update is heavy enough.
* Add MSN support thanks to msn-pecan.
* Add custom SSH client configuration:
* Prefer strong ciphers and MACs.
* Enable maximum compression level.
* Explicitly disable X11 forwarding.
* Connect as root by default, to prevent fingerprinting when username was not specified.
* Replace flawed FireGPG with a home-made GnuPG encryption applet; install a feature-stripped FireGPG that redirects users to [the documentation], and don't run Seahorse applet anymore.
* Blank screen when lid is closed, rather than shutting down the system. The shutdown "feature" has caused data losses for too many people, it seems. There are many other ways a Tails system can be shut down in a hurry these days.
* Fix bug in the Pidgin nick generation that resulted in the nick "XXX_NICK_XXX" once out of twenty.
* Pre-configure the #tor IRC discussion channel in Pidgin.
* Reintroduce the htpdate notification, telling users when it's safe to use Tor Hidden Services.
* Various htpdate improvements.
Plus the usual bunch of minor bug reports and improvements.
See the [online Changelog] for technical details.
# I want to try it / to upgrade!
See the [Getting started] page.
# Known issue
The memory erasure on Tails shutdown cannot guarantee that all memory in the 2 GB to 4 GB region is wiped. The improvements made in Tails 0.10 should at least make the situation better than previously.
# A glimpse towards the future
Were do we go from here? Have a look to our [roadmap] to see where we are heading to.
Would you want to help? As explained in our ["how to contribute" documentation], here are many ways **you** can contribute to Tails: no need to be a hardcore developer.
More information about the amnesia-news